On the up side, I feel that I have eaten pretty well this week–all local and quite yummy! Last week I didn’t include a recipe so I thought that I better step up to the plate this week. This is a recipe that I prepared during the challenge, and shared with my colleagues at Engine.
Roasted Chicken with a Butter & White Wine Sauce
- 2 Chicken breasts ~ skin on (if you want flavor that’s where a lot of it comes from)
- 1 Small onion ~ quartered, then quartered again
- 4 Cloves of garlic peeled and cut in half
- 1 Portobello mushroom, sliced (Wellington Mushroom Farm)
- 1 slice of bacon chopped
- 1/2 tsp of dried French Thyme (Vicki’s Veggies)
- 1/4 cup of white wine (from one of our many local wineries in the County)
- 1/4 cup of homemade chicken stock
- 2 tbsp of butter (Stirling Creamery)
Serve with a Chardonnay from Black Prince Winery where yesterday, we took part in a grape crushing challenge (which Shaun won), and a wine tasting. Thanks to the folks at Black Prince for their hospitality and fun!
Hint: if not taking part in the 100 Mile Diet Challenge, I would use sea salt and fresh black pepper to season the chicken as well. This is truly the hardest part for me, I am a salt freak and it REALLY does enhance flavor!
A special thanks to the crew at Cogeco for a great week! Mike, Anne–you made us think local, get engaged and you helped us have fun doing it. We really appreciate all your hard work. Thanks to Chris at the Milford Bistro–you’ll be getting a visit from the whole team soon, but this time we’ll let you cook. We also appreciate the warmth and hospitality of Kerry and Rod at Black Prince Winery. We had so much fun with you! It’s been a great week. Hope you enjoyed it as well!